Best for: Professional home builders, designers, and remodelers
In under two hours, home builders and designers can create a detailed 2D floor plan and 3D rendering with Cedreo. Combining all of the key features of home design software, Cedreo is optimized for speed and efficiency. Quick, beautiful, photorealistic designs from Cedreo spark an emotional response in clients that leads to more closed sales and higher revenue for professionals.
Cedreo is 100% online and cloud-based, which means it is an ideal home design software for Macintosh or any other type of computer with internet access.
- Wide range of customization options for furnishings and surfaces
- Personalized onboarding and phone support to get you up and running fast
- Furnishing and decor library with more than 7,000 items
- 2D and 3D floor plan designs with photorealistic renderings
- Easy sharing options to get feedback from clients and colleagues
- Ability to customize lighting and shadows to set the perfect mood
- Option to save and reuse templates
Pricing: There’s a Cedreo plan to meet any budget. Check out our plans here .
Cedreo offers a free, no-obligation trial. Why wait? Sign up today .
Best for: Experienced architects and commercial contractors
If you have years of experience with CAD and technical 3D design, you may be able to make use of SketchUp’s relatively wide variety of features somewhat quickly. However, you should be aware that while this software can do a lot of things, it is not specifically built to be a house design software for Mac.
You’ll get plenty of features or capabilities with SketchUp, but you may lack the knowledge necessary to use them correctly. With the right level of training, you can use SketchUp to create home designs and display them to clients through animations, virtual tours, and flyovers. Keep in mind that you have to download add-on software to generate 3D renderings in SketchUp.
- Large catalog of premade 3D models
- 2D and 3D floor plan design
- Ability to create 3D models
- Smart reporting tools
- Augmented reality (AR) design viewing
Pricing: SketchUp is available via three plans:
- Shop. Pay $119 per year for the online version with limited access to SketchUp’s features.
- Pro. For an annual fee of $299, you get access to features like project insights, an XR viewer, a 3D modeler, and in-design documentation via the desktop application or web-based version.
3. Live Home 3D
Best for: Interior designers, landscape designers and architects
Live Home 3D is a tech-forward home design software for Mac that is available on desktops, laptops, smartphones, and tablets. With touch-screen controls on portable devices and several AR-capable features, Live Home 3D provides ease of use and an impressively smooth design experience.
This software offers a relatively rare feature with its AR room scanner. The scanner can make a digital copy of a real room and allow you to design over it in the app, making it a solid option for interior designers.
The app itself is free, but to make it truly functional for a professional home builder or designer, in-app purchases are necessary. Depending on what you need the software to do, these purchases can become expensive.
- Autosave while you work
- 3D object library of 2,000 items
- Video walkthroughs
- Terrain editing (Pro version only)
- Ability to create custom materials
Pricing: Live Home 3D breaks down its pricing by feature.
- App store version is free with highly limited features.
- A lifetime license for professional use with all features is $49.99.
- A one-year subscription to use standard features is $9.99.
- A one-year subscription to use pro features is $19.99.
4. Planner 5D
Best for: Real estate agents, DIYers, and homeowners
If you’re looking for easy-to-use home design software for Macintosh, it’s difficult to beat Planner 5D. But this ease of use can come at the expense of some of the more advanced features that professional home builders and designers need to create designs that will please their clients.
The ability to quickly create a rough design, furnish it, and share it with a client can be useful for real estate agents and similar professionals, but this software is designed largely for amateur use. The software has versions designed for use on Apple phones and tablets, as well as Mac computers.
- 2D and 3D design
- Image capture with photo editing tools
- User-created furnishing catalog
- Automated arrangement of furniture
- Access to Planner 5D design community
Pricing: A free version is available, but it is limited. Paid subscriptions come in the following price tiers:
- $6.99 per month
- $15.99 per year
- $24.99 for a lifetime subscription
Best for: DIY and personal use for homeowners
Homestyler is an app for iOS devices that allows you to create simple and photo-worthy home designs and fill them with real furnishings from well-known brands. This software is an excellent choice for homeowners who want to experiment with a new decorating scheme for their living space.
Real estate professionals may also find Homestyler useful when they need to help clients picture their living quarters inside an existing home. However, the app is not meant for creating a new home design from scratch. Instead, its primary offering is that you can upload a photo of an existing space and design on top of it.
- Design sharing with other Homestyler users
- Real furnishings from popular brands
- 2D and 3D designs
- Panoramic views of completed designs
- Photo uploading
Pricing: Homestyler offers a 100% free plan, as well as a few paid options.
- Free version limits features and creates designs with a Homestyler watermark.
- The Pro plan is $19.99 per month. It offers access to all features with limited renderings.
- The Master plan is $39.99 per month and unlocks all features and a larger number of renderings.
Best for: Architects and home contractors
SmartDraw is a comprehensive 2D design tool that boasts a wide variety of features — even some that transcend traditional design and get into project management and productivity. While this software’s offerings are broad, its main limitation is in the 3D design department. To do 3D designs with SmartDraw, you will have to find a program that integrates with the software.
Still, the program is meant for use by professionals and offers impressive functionality along with an intuitive user interface. Easy to integrate with file-sharing applications, SmartDraw is especially ideal for professionals who would like to collaborate on 2D design projects.
- Integrations with file-sharing and productivity apps
- Floor plan templates
- Comprehensive symbol library
- Ability to create scaled CAD drawings
- Free support
Pricing: After a seven-day free trial, you can choose from three paid plans.
- $9.95 per month for individuals
- $5.95 per user/month for teams
- $2,295 per year for enterprises
7. Sweet Home 3D
Best for: Remodelers, home builders, and homeowners
When you download Sweet Home 3D, you get a drag-and-drop 2D and 3D design editor and many of the standard features you expect in home design software. This may not be the best free home design software for Mac, but it is completely free.
The lower-quality graphics in this program can leave something to be desired for professionals who need to present designs to clients. However, the simpler graphics contribute to the overall high speed of this software.
While Sweet Home 3D can accommodate some complex design needs, such as irregular wall shapes, it doesn’t offer the full suite of features that many other Mac home design programs offer, such as standard CAD symbols.
- Blueprint import
- 2D and 3D views of designs
- Customizable 3D models
- Integration with various plugins for added features
Pricing: Sweet Home 3D is free to use.
- All features are available in the free version.
- Additional textures and objects can require a small fee.
8. Chief Architect
Best for: Architects and home builders
Available for both Macs and PCs, Chief Architect is a well-known home design software that packs a large number of modern features and all the functionality of a traditional CAD program. With these benefits comes a potential drawback for smaller-scale home design operations: price. Chief Architect is one of the most expensive pieces of home design software for Macintosh users.
- Virtual tours and photorealistic renderings
- Comprehensive landscape design capabilities
- CAD tools
- Custom design backdrops
- Floor plan templates
Pricing: You can pay for Chief Architect on a monthly basis or purchase a lifetime license.
- $195 per month
- $2,965.50 for lifetime license
9. Space Designer 3D
Best for: Home designers and casual users
A gorgeous interface is the first benefit of Space Designer 3D that you will notice. The experience is both intuitive and precise. With a library of 10,000 furnishings and materials, this software offers a broad range of interior design options.
The 3D walkthrough features can be useful during presentations, but keep in mind that the graphics remain boxy and fall short of the “photorealistic” standard. However, for ease of use and customization, Space Designer 3D is a leading home design software for Mac.
- PDF and DXF project export
- 3D furniture modeling
- Ability to import existing designs
- Dimension tool to calculate object and room measurements
- Tourable 3D renderings
Pricing: Space Designer 3D offers four pricing options.
- Casual. This plan is $9.99 per project. Features are limited.
- Regular. At $24.99 per month, the Regular plan offers five projects per month and a wider range of features.
- Team. For $99.99 per month, the Team plan allows you to have up to five users and 25 projects each month, as well as full access to features.
- Business. Space Designer 3D does not specify the price of the Business plan, but it indicates that this plan is highly customizable and may offer on-demand features to suit your needs.
Which Home Design Software is Right for You?
Finding the best home design software for Macintosh isn’t easy, but we hope this list will help. Begin your search by thinking about which features you need, your budget, and your level of technical expertise. Then, try out the options to see which one works best for you.
Cedreo offers a free version for exactly this purpose. We want you to see what Cedreo can do before you make your purchase. We believe that once you try us, you will see what we see — that Cedreo is the best floor plan software for Mac.