Moving to a new house can be exciting, but it can also be a major headache!
You’ve got the hassle of packing up your entire life, moving it to a new location without getting damaged, and then unpacking it while hoping everything fits in your new place.
You don’t need the stress!
Something you can do to help plan your move and reduce the moving stress is create a floor plan.
So how can floor plans improve your moving experience? In this 5-minute read we’ll show you exactly how.
- 5 ways floor plans make moving easier
- A simple way to create your own floor plan for your next move
Let’s get started!
How Floor Plans can Making Moving Homes Easier
Here are 5 reasons you should make a floor plan for your next move.
Will your furniture fit in your new place? Use a floor plan to create a furniture layout so you don’t leave it up to chance.
Create a layout with furniture locations beforehand in order to:
- Allow enough space for travel between rooms
- Decide if you need to get rid of furniture or buy more
- Know the exact sizes you need, if you need to buy more furniture
Make sure you add all the main furniture pieces to the layout. And don’t forget smaller end tables, bookshelves, and freestanding lighting fixtures.
PRO TIP! – The easiest way to draw a simple and accurate floor plan is with a home design program like Cedreo. Then you can pull furniture symbols from its design library and arrange them on the floor plans to see what fits.
Making Packing and Unpacking Less Complicated
The number one question people ask when bringing stuff to your new place is “Where does this go?” The time to figure out that question for your big furniture items is before they make it inside your new place.
The last thing you want is to realize your heavy bookshelf needed to go upstairs instead of downstairs where you told the movers to put it…and now the movers have left!
So beforehand, use your floor plan to map out where all the big furniture pieces go. Then, when moving day comes, all you have to do is hand it over to your movers and let them arrange the pieces as they go.
Get Your Electronics and Utilities Set Up
As you make the floor plan for your new place, don’t forget to mark where the electrical outlets, internet and TV cables are.
By doing that, you’ll know where you need to put your entertainment center and computer desks. You might even realize that you need to hire someone to install extra outlets or run new ethernet cables — something that’s better to do in an empty house before you move all your stuff in.
Estimate Moving Costs
Want to compare prices from moving companies to get the best deal? One of the best ways to do that is with floor plans.
Provide movers with a floor plan and furniture layout of your current home and your new place. Your floor plans should show the number of rooms, staircases, appliances, and the total square footage of each home. Most movers will be able to give you a quote based on that info.
Providing movers with these floor plans also helps resolve any potential issues beforehand which will end up saving you time, money, and hassle.
Selling Your Current Home
According to one report, over half of home buyers find floor plans to be a “very useful” feature on real estate listings. So if you’re trying to sell your current home without including a floor plan in the listing, you’re missing out on a lot of potential clients!
Fortunately, with programs like Cedreo, you don’t have to be an architect or designer to create professional looking floor plans. You can even create 3D full-color plans that showcase your home with furnishings, paint, flooring, and appliances.
Organize Your Move with a Floor Plan
Here’s how to create a floor plan and furniture layout to help organize your move.
- Sign up for Cedreo home design software (with a free version you’ve got nothing to lose).
- Measure the home’s interior space starting with the perimeter walls and continuing with smaller interior walls. OR…Import an existing floor plan and trace over it.
- Use Cedreo’s smart drawing tools to draw the walls. As you draw, you see the measurements on the screen.
- Click and drag walls to adjust as needed.
- Drag and drop doors and other wall openings.
- Select furniture from Cedreo’s design library.
- Adjust the furniture dimensions (it’s really easy!) to match your existing furniture.
- Drag, drop, and rotate the furniture create the layout
- Download and print the layout for reference and to give to movers.
- Don’t forget to allow for adequate traffic flow between rooms and furniture pieces.
- Make sure you add the electrical and data outlets.
- You can also add lighting fixtures to see how the space will look in the evening with artificial light.
Even with a floor plan, moving is still going to be a little stressful. But a floor plan can greatly improve your entire moving experience when used correctly!
- Know exactly where furniture will fit
- Pay less by quickly getting quotes from several moving companies
- Add floor plans to your real estate listing to sell your current home faster
So if you’re planning a move, making a floor plan should be one of the first things on your to-do list.
Check it off your list the easy way with Cedreo home design software. Its intelligent drawing tools and simple interface makes drawing your floor plans easier than ever.
Sign up today for the FREE version to see how Cedreo can help with your move!